Today was a great day! Paleo Baby woke up without a fever and we had both got a good nights rest. The day flew by, baby went down for a nap and I got to make my lunch; baby free! I made the Sardine Cakes of course! My new obsession! They are soooo filling! At about 3:30pm I made The World’s Best Paleo Gravy (recipe below) by Brittany Angell, then went and picked up my GMO, Soy FREE, Free Range eggs and a few other goodies at the farmers market in town. Once back home (STARVING) I started dinner! DRUM ROLL…….Grain-Free Chicken Fried Steak (recipe below) by Mommypotamus! I paired my dinner with fresh green beans while the hubby enjoyed cinnamon baked carrots and parsnips. Dinner was FABULOUS! We were stuffed! Another day DOWN, 25 more to go!
- 1 pound cube steak or round steak
- 3-5 eggs, whisked
- 2 cups almond flour or almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3 teaspoons unrefined sea salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- tallow or coconut oil for frying
- Tenderize your steaks
- Place whisked eggs in a medium bowl. In a separate medium bowl mix together almond flour, coconut flour, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and pepper.
- Place each steak in the bowl of whisked eggs and coat thoroughly.
- Dredge steaks in the flour mixture.
- Set aside to rest for 3-5 minutes. While you’re waiting go ahead and preheat a non-stick pan with enough oil to generously coat the bottom (use medium heat).
- Place steaks in pan (if it doesn’t sizzle it’s not hot enough!) and fry on both sides until golden brown.
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter (dairy or nondairy.)
- 1 onion finely chopped.
- 1/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Starch (Potato Starch, Arrowroot or Tapioca)
- 5-6 Tablespoons of Blanched Almond Flour.
- 1 1/4 Cup of Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbs Heavy Cream OR Heavy Coconut Milk (optional)
- salt to taste.
- To a sauce pan add the butter, and onions. Cook over medium low heat for 20 minutes or so until caramelized (a beautiful golden brown color and cooked through) .
- Add the Black Pepper, Starch and Almond Flour. Stir for 1 minute and then add the remaining ingredients.
- Stir and gently boil until thick. If you want your gravy thicker feel free to add an additional 2-3 TBS of .
- Salt to taste. At this point I like to put the gravy in the food processor to get it 100% smooth (by grinding up the onions) but this step is 100% optional.
- Gravy will thicken as it cools.